By: Karly Campbell, Buns in My Oven
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces Roth® Butterkäse Cheese, grated
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Heat a 12-inch heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and oil to coat the bottom.
- Add the onions to the skillet and stir well to coat in the butter and oil. Cook 10 minutes over medium-low heat.Sprinkle the onions with the salt and sugar and stir well.
- Continue cooking for 50 minutes, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes, until the onions are soft and browned. You may need to reduce the heat to keep the onions from burning. If the onions start to look dry while cooking, add 2 tablespoons of water to the pan and stir.
- When onions are finished cooking, unroll the puff pastry sheets and top each sheet with the cheese, onions, and parsley. Roll the sheets up jelly-roll style. Slice into 8 rounds per sheet with a serrated knife.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.