Low in labor and high in flavor, this sandwich is special, thanks to a spicy homemade relish. Smoked Polish sausage is a superb meat option if you do not have chorizo.
- For Onion and Chili Relish:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 3-4 small red chile peppers, seeds and vein removed, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Sandwiches:
- 2 precooked chorizo sausage links
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 1-ounce slices Roth® Van Gough® Natural Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 1 small baguette
For Onion and Chili Relish:
- Heat oil in large shallow pan; add onion slices and cook over low until onion slices are soft and translucent.
- Add remaining relish ingredients and continue to cook, uncovered, until vinegar has reduced and relish is thick. Season to taste.
- Refrigerate until preparing sandwich; then bring to room temperature.
- Grill sausage links on stovetop or outdoor grill until charred and warmed through.
- Meanwhile, cut baguette in half and split. Spread butter over baguette bottoms. Grill open baguette “rolls” until lightly toasted.
- Spread some relish on baguette bottoms. Top with chorizo and Van Gough Natural Smoked Gouda Cheese. Close sandwiches and serve immediately.