These highly seasoned sandwiches are the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. They are inspired by South American arepas, which feature a unique cornmeal flour bread shaped like an English muffin, but pita bread works well, too!
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) roasted shredded pork
- 2 teaspoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 pitas, preferably whole grain
- 1 1/2 cups (1 6-ounce package) Roth® Ultimate Firehouse Shred Blends
- 3/4 cup prepared mango salsa
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- Mix shredded pork and Caribbean jerk seasoning to coat the pork. Set aside.
- Heat 12-inch sauté pan; add vegetable oil and onion. Sauté 2 minutes. Add reserved pork and crisp-brown meat for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Wipe pan clean; adjust heat to medium. Place pitas in pan and heat until lightly browned. Flip; immediately sprinkle the Firehouse blend shreds over, dividing among the 4 pitas. Cook 1 minute longer, until pitas are hot and slightly crispy.
- Top each with 1/4 of the pork filling, mango salsa, and cilantro. Squeeze lime over. Fold pitas and serve immediately.