This classic style quiche makes a memorable brunch, but don't overlook it for a special lunch or lighter dinner. Recipe by chef Karen Small, chef/owner of The flying Fig, Cleveland.
- 1 9-inch prepared or homemade pie crust
- 1/4 pound (4 ounces) chopped bacon
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) mixture of sliced oyster and shitake mushrooms
- 2 leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated Grand Cru® Original Cheese
- Prebake pie crust, following package or recipe directions. Set aside
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Sauté bacon in a skillet until fully cooked. Remove bacon to paper towels; set aside. Reserve half the bacon grease.
- Add sliced mushrooms to hot grease in skillet; cook 3-5 minutes, until tender Add leeks; cook additional 3-5 minutes. Return bacon pieces to skillet. Add thyme, nutmeg, chives, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In bowl, vigorously beat eggs; add cream and milk and beat. Layer grated Grand Cru and bacon mixture over crust; pour egg mixture over.
- Bake quiche 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake additional 30-40 minutes or until egg mixture is set.
- Remove from oven; let cool at least 1 hour before serving.