This creamy baked mac and cheese is the most decadent mac and cheese casserole you'll ever taste! By: Karly Campbell, Buns in My Oven
- For the Mac & Cheese:
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces Roth® Prairie Sunset® Cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Cook pasta for one minute less than the package directions state. Drain.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium-sized pot and add the flour. Cook, whisking constantly, over low heat for 1 minute. Continue whisking and slowly pour in the milk and cream. Cook for another 2 minutes until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated Prairie Sunset, salt, and pepper. Continue stirring until smooth and creamy. Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Pour melted butter into the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Spoon half of the macaroni and cheese over the top.
- Add a layer of grated Havarti and spread sour cream over the top. Top with a layer of grated Butterkäse. Spoon remaining macaroni and cheese over the top.
- Stir together the Panko, melted butter, garlic salt, and parsley to make the breadcrumb topping. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the top is browned.