- 12 slices firm-crumbed white bread, about 1/2 inch thick
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, softened
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Roth Grand Cru® Alpine-Style Cheese, divided
- Kosher salt and finely ground pepper to taste
- 24 thin prosciutto slices
- Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly toast bread, for just 2 or 3 minutes in the oven, until slightly firm. Spread 1 side of each toast slice with softened butter, using about 3 tablespoons of butter.
- In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until incorporated and just turning dark blonde, about 1 minute. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Stir in 1/2 cup Roth Alpine Style Grand Cru® Cheese, and season and with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Spread a generous 2 tablespoons of cheese sauce on the unbuttered side of 1 bread slice. Top with 2 prosciutto slices, draping them to cover the surface, sprinkle 1/4 cup of the remaining shredded Roth Grand Cru® Alpine-Style Cheese. Top with another slice of bread, buttered- side- up. Repeat process, to yield a total of 6 sandwiches. Cut crusts from edges of bread (or don’t, but it adds a nice little polish).
- Heat large skillet with a lid over medium heat. Place 2 or 3 sandwiches, however many will fit, in the skillet and cook 3 minutes, covered, until bottom crust is golden brown. Uncover pan, flip the sandwich and cook 2 additional minutes, covered, until the shredded cheese is melted, and the sandwich is golden brown on both sides. Remove to cutting board and let sit 1 minute before cutting into fourths (or see Note). Meanwhile, cook the next batch of sandwiches.
- Serve mini Croque Monsieurs hot.
Note: You will have some leftover cheese sauce (béchamel) after assembling the sandwiches. If you want to make them even more cheesily spectacular, preheat the broiler after you’ve toasted bread slices. After you’ve grilled sandwiches, place them on a baking sheet (lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper). Spread sandwich tops with remaining sauce, dividing it and spreading it evenly. Broil sandwiches just 1 minute or so, until top is turning brown in spots. Remove from oven, transfer to a cutting board, and let sit for a minute before cutting into quarters. Serve immediately.