Classic gnocchi is made with potatoes; this Parisian version offers a lighter interpretation with the regional flavors of Alpine-Style Grand Cru®, a much awarded Roth® cheese. Adapted from a recipe by: Chef Joey Beato, Community Tavern, Chicago
- For Gnocchi:
- 2 cups water
- 3 ounces (2 sticks) butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespooon salt
- 12.5 ounces (about 3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- Olive oil
- For Grand Cru® Fonduta:
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 stick butter, plus additional for sauté pan
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Roth Alpine-Style Grand Cru® Cheese
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 to 2/3 cup) finely grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- Prepare Gnocchi: Place water, butter, Dijon and salt into pot and bring to boil. Slowly whisk in flour. The mixture will form a wet dough. Cook dough over low heat 3 minutes while continuously stirring dough and scraping bottom of pot with rubber spatula.
- Place warm dough in bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment. Mix at medium speed; add eggs 1 at a time and mix in. Place dough in piping bag pipe and pipe long dough ropes onto sheet pan.
- Refrigerate to cool. When cold, cut dough ropes into 1 inch long pieces for gnocchi.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boil in deep pasta pot. Place gnocchi in pot. Do not crowd. Cook until they float, about 1 minute. Shock in ice water. You may have to boil and shock the gnocchi in batches. Drain; toss with olive oil. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Prepare Grand Cru® Fonduta: Bring half and half and butter to simmer in saucepan. Add Roth Alpine-Style Grand Cru® Cheese and Parmesan cheese. Whisk until cheeses melt. Place egg yolks in a bowl. Slowly pour in cream and cheese mixture, whisking constantly. Pour mixture in the saucepan. Cook over low heat just until the mixture begins to barely bubble. Pour into blender beaker and blend until very smooth. Add salt, if desired. Keep warm.
- Remove gnocchi from refrigerator. Heat butter to generously cover saucepan bottom. Sauté gnocchi until lightly browned. Divide fonduta among 6 bowls. Distribute gnocchi evenly over the fonduta. Serve immediately.