When the craving for French fries strikes, it needs to be satisfied ASAP. Quick Chili Cheese Fries to the rescue!
- 1 (20-oz) bag frozen waffle fries
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 3 Chile Pepper Gouda Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 cups 2% or whole milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Roth 3 Chile Pepper Gouda cheese
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 (15-oz) can of your favorite chili, warmed
- Scallions, diced, for garnish
- Extra 3 Chile Pepper Gouda, shredded, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss frozen waffle fries with chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and a pinch of each, salt and pepper.
- Spread seasoned waffle fries in one layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, turning fries halfway, until golden and crispy. For extra crispy fries, place fries under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes when done baking.
- While the waffle fries are baking, heat butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add minced garlic, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes until softened and fragrant. Add flour and ground mustard, whisking to form a roux.
- Slowly add milk to the saucepan, whisking constantly until smooth. Bring mixture to a low boil, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly.
- Add shredded 3 Chile Pepper Gouda cheese in small handfuls, whisking between each addition to ensure cheese is melted and incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- To serve, remove waffle fries from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Top with 3 Chile Pepper Gouda Cheese Sauce and warmed chili, and garnish with scallions and extra shredded cheese, if desired.