Sometimes a simple extra step makes a big difference–the Madeira caramelized onions add a degree of sweetness and sophistication to this roast beef and Swiss style cheese sandwich.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Madeira or Port wine
- 1 12-14-inch baguette
- 4 ounces sliced Roth Grand Cru® Cheese
- 8 ounces shaved or thinly cut deli roast beef
- 1 cup prepared au jus or rich beef broth
- Heat oven 375°F.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add onions and sauté over medium low to low heat until soft, lightly browned and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Turn heat to high; add wine and reduce until almost evaporated. Set aside.
- Make a longwise split in baguette, leaving bottom crust uncut. Open bread and arrange cheese over bottom crust; top with roast beef and caramelized onions. Close sandwich with bread top. Wrap baguette tightly in foil; seal well. Place on baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and steamy.
- Meanwhile, heat au jus. To serve, remove foil from baguette and slice in half for 2 sandwiches. Serve with au jus for dipping.