Bring something unexpected to the table. Sear hearts of romaine and complement with richly flavored Grand Cru and fruit.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 pear, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable or grapeseed oil, divided
- 8 figs, preferably fresh, halved
- 2 hearts of romaine, halved
- 1 cup shredded Roth® Original Grand Cru® Cheese
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought balsamic glaze
- Candied walnuts or pecans, optional
- Stir lemon juice into cold water. Reserve pear slices in mixture.
- Heat half the oil in large skillet until almost smoking. Quickly sear romaine halves, cut-side-down. Do not overcook or wilt. When brown, remove romaine halves; place each on an individual plate and top each with 1/4 of the shredded Grand Cru cheese.
- Remove pear slices from water; pay dry. Scatter pear slices and figs over and around romaine hearts. Drizzle salad evenly with remaining oil and balsamic glaze. Garnish with candied nuts, if desired.