By: Chef Jeff Orr Caramelized onions and Horseradish Havarti are a match made in heaven. You'll never tire of this updated steak sandwich.
- 1 6-ounce top sirloin steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 crusty sandwich rolls, split, lightly toasted and buttered
- 4 slices Roth® Horseradish Havarti Cheese
- Cornichons, for garnish
- Grill the steak to medium rare; cut across the grain into 1/4 inch slices. Cover loosely with foil and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium and add onion slices. Cook over low until soft, lightly browned and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; add vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cook at a boil until most of the vinegar has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler.
- Over roll bottoms, evenly layer reserved steak slices and onions. Top with cheese slices. Place under broiler and broil until cheese melts. Place roll tops over to close sandwich. Serve cornichons on the side.