This indulgent dish may be the cheesiest mac & cheese ever. From a recipe adapted by: chef-owner Rick Moonen of Mandalay Place, Las Vegas
- For Béchamel Sauce:
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole or reduced fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Roth® Original Van Gough® Gouda Cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- For Macaroni:
- 1 pound (4 cups) large elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups reserved béchamel sauce
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Roth® Fontina Cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Roth® Original Van Gough® Gouda Cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Roth® Organic Sharp Cheddar Cheese
For Béchamel Sauce:
- Sweat shallot with 1 tablespoon butter in a small pan over low heat. Do not allow shallot to brown; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over low heat. When butter begins to bubble, slowly whisk in flour so dissolve in any lumps. Cook flour-butter mixture about 1 minute; do not allow to brown. Remove pan from heat and slowly add milk, whisking constantly until flour-butter mixture is fully incorporated. Return pan to low heat; continue stirring until sauce is thickened, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in cheddar, Van Gogh Gouda and reserved shallot; simmer until cheeses are completely melted.
- Remove from heat; season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Reserve.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cook macaroni al dente, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold running water; drain well and set aside.
- Toss breadcrumbs with olive oil, parsley, salt and black pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, add macaroni to 4 cups of the reserved béchamel sauce; mix well. Stir in shredded Fontina cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Turn mixture into large buttered casserole dish or small buttered ramekins. Sprinkle with reserved breadcrumbs, shredded Van Gogh and Organic Cheddar cheese.
- Bake 30-40 minutes and until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.