Recipe by chef-owner Rick Moonen of Mandalay Place, Las Vegas This indulgent dish may be the cheesiest mac & cheese ever.
- For Béchamel Sauce:
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole or reduced fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Roth Vintage Van Gogh® Gouda Cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- For Macaroni:
- 1 pound (4 cups) large elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups reserved béchamel sauce
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Roth Fontiago® Cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Roth Vintage Van Gogh® Gouda Cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded aged cheddar cheese
For Béchamel Sauce:
- Sweat shallot with 1 tablespoon butter in a small pan over low heat. Do not allow shallot to brown; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over low heat. When butter begins to bubble, slowly whisk in flour so dissolve in any lumps. Cook flour-butter mixture about 1 minute; do not allow to brown. Remove pan from heat and slowly add milk, whisking constantly until flour-butter mixture is fully incorporated. Return pan to low heat; continue stirring until sauce is thickened, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in cheddar, Roth Vintage Van Gogh® Gouda and reserved shallot; simmer until cheeses are completely melted.
- Remove from heat; season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Reserve.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cook macaroni al dente, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold running water; drain well and set aside.
- Toss breadcrumbs with olive oil, parsley, salt and black pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, add macaroni to 4 cups of the reserved béchamel sauce; mix well. Stir in shredded Roth Fontiago® cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Turn mixture into large buttered casserole dish or small buttered ramekins. Sprinkle with reserved breadcrumbs, shredded Roth Vintage Van Gogh® and cheddar cheese.
- Bake 30-40 minutes and until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.