A favorite sandwich inspires another favorite mac and cheese. Ultimate 3-cheese shredded blend makes it convenient to use and richly delicious to taste.
- 2 cups (8 ounces) short, hollow pasta, such as elbows or penne rigate
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 1½ cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups (1 6-ounce package) Roth® Ultimate Mac & Cheese Shred Blends
- 30 baby romaine lettuce or spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, ½-inch dice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta al dente, according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- Heat 12-inch skillet over medium-high; fry bacon until slightly crispy. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic and onion to skillet; sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Combine half and half and cornstarch in a bowl; mix well. Add to skillet and bring to slow simmer. Stir until sauce thickens slightly. Slowly stir in Ultimate Cheese Shreds until fully melted. Add reserved pasta and heat thoroughly. Add romaine or spinach leaves and tomato; warm 1 minute. Serve immediately.