These elegant puff pastry tarts, featuring the classic duo of braised mushrooms and buttery Gouda cheese, make an elegant addition to a special dinner or luncheon. Adapted from a recipe by: Chef John Hogan, River Roast restaurant, Chicago.
- 1 package (6 shells) frozen puff pastry shells
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced
- 3 strips bacon, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces wild mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces Swiss chard leaves, torn in small pieces
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Roth® Original Van Gough® Gouda Cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco® sauce to taste
- Prepare puff pastry shells according to package directions, except bake about 5 minutes fewer than directed package baking time. Do not allow shells to brown. Remove pastry shells from oven; cool completely.
- Heat oven to 325˚F.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and bacon over medium heat, cooking until onion begins to caramelize. Add mushrooms; cook 3-5 minutes. Add chard; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; allow mixture to cool. Stir in Roth Vintage Van Gogh® Gouda cheese. Set skillet aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs, cream, thyme, nutmeg, salt, pepper and Tabasco® sauce. Add egg mixture to mushroom mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Divide mixture evenly between shells; bake 20 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with additional Van Gogh Gouda shreds.