Upgrade traditional scalloped potatoes with ham and shredded Gouda or Smoked Gouda cheese.
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus additional for buttering dish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cubed smoked ham
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large peeled russet potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Roth Gouda cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more or less, to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400° degrees F.
- Butter 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ham; sauté until tender. Stir flour into pan and immediately add cream.
- Reduce heat to medium. Bring to simmer, stirring until mixture thickens. Add potatoes, cheese, crushed red pepper, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish; bake 45 minutes, until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender to fork.