Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese is just what the stomach craves — creamy, carby, earthy, and extra cheesy. We're using two of our creamiest cheeses here: Gouda and Havarti.
- 8 ounces (2 cups) elbow macaroni or penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cubed roasted butternut squash, or frozen squash, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Roth Organic Gouda cheese
- 1 cup shredded (4 ounces) Roth Organic Havarti cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 strips (about 4 ounces) cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Place cornstarch in large sauté pan. Gradually add milk, whisking continually. Place over medium heat, and stir until sauce begins to thicken. Add squash cubes and cheeses, then stir until melted and incorporated. Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Remove from heat, and stir in bacon and pasta.
- Place mixture in 9- x 9-inch baking dish or 2-quart casserole.
- In a small bowl, mix paprika and breadcrumbs, then sprinkle over macaroni. Bake 15 minutes, or until heated and bubbly. For a crunchy, golden topping; place under the broiler about 2 minutes, if desired.