This easy vegetable side dish is perfect for dinner all year long. Just toss blanched broccoli florets in an easy homemade cheese sauce and top with cracker crumbs!By: Meggan Hill, Culinary Hill
- 2 pounds fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces Roth® Original Havarti Cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crumbled, or to taste
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, without letting the flour brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in the milk. Set the pan over medium heat. Bring sauce to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and cook, whisking occasionally, until sauce has thickened and is smooth, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add Roth Havarti cheese, and whisk until the cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 4 quarts water to boil. Add the broccoli and cook until just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well and carefully pat dry.
- Stir the broccoli into the cheese sauce. Set the pan over low heat and cook, stirring often until the sauce is heated, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the broccoli mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle an even layer of cracker crumbs over the top. Serve hot.