By: Bev Weidner, Bev Cooks
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 block (6-oz) 3 Chile Pepper Gouda or Gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 415 degrees F.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions, and season with a pinch of salt and dried thyme. Sauté for five minutes, until softened and brown.
- Roll the pie crust out on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle half of the gouda cheese in the center of the crust, leaving about 3 inches untouched on the outer rim. Layer the cooked onions over the cheese, and follow by adding rest of the cheese on top of the onions. Arrange tomato slices on top of the cheese, overlapping in a circle. Season tomatoes with a pinch of coarse salt.
- Fold the edges of the pie crust over itself, forming a galette crust. Scramble egg and brush the exposed crust with the egg wash. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Gently transfer the galette to a cutting board or platter. Garnish with basil, black pepper, slice and serve.