Meatball sliders are one of our favorite game day eats. Juicy meatballs, toasted buns, and of course — cheese! Here we're using our creamy, extremely meltable Havarti cheese.
- For Homemade Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- For the Sandwiches:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot (about 2 large carrots)
- 2/3-1 cup red wine
- 2 (14-oz) jars tomato pasta sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 24 mini pretzel rolls or mini slider buns. sliced in half
- 12 ounces Roth Havarti cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients. Mix well, using damp hands to ensure mixture is incorporated.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, scoop meatballs onto lined baking sheets. Bake until meatballs are browned and edges are crispy, about 20 minutes (internal temperature should reach 155 degrees F).
- While meatballs bake, prepare the sauce. Over medium-low heat, melt butter in a large sauté pan or Dutch oven. Add onion, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and softened. Add shredded carrot, and mix well. Add wine to deglaze the pan, and let come to a boil. Add pasta sauce, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer.
- Transfer meatballs to a wire rack. Remove aluminum foil from baking pans, and replace with new aluminum foil. Arrange bottoms of pretzels rolls on pans. Top each pretzel roll half with 1 to 2 meatballs and an equal amount of tomato sauce and shredded Havarti.
- Bake 5 minutes in the oven or until cheese melts. Place the other half of the pretzel roll on top, and bake an additional 5 minutes or until buns are lightly toasted. Serve immediately.