Quick Chili Cheese Fries with 3 Chile Pepper Gouda to the rescue! When the craving for French fries strikes, it needs to be satisfied ASAP.
- 1 (20-oz) bag frozen waffle fries
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- For the 3 Chile Pepper Gouda Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Roth 3 Chile Pepper Gouda or Gouda cheese
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- For topping:
- 1 (15-oz) can of your favorite chili, warmed
- Diced scallions, for garnish
- Extra 3 Chile Pepper Gouda or Gouda cheese, shredded (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss frozen waffle fries with chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and a pinch of each, salt and pepper.
- Spread seasoned waffle fries in one layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, turning fries over halfway during baking, until golden and crispy. For extra crispy fries, place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes when done baking.
- While the waffle fries bake, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add minced garlic, cooking 1 to 2 minutes until softened and fragrant. Add flour and ground mustard, whisking to form a roux.
- Slowly add milk to the saucepan, whisking constantly until smooth. Bring mixture to a low boil, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add shredded 3 Chile Pepper Gouda in small handfuls, whisking between each addition to ensure cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- To serve, remove waffle fries from the oven and transfer them to a serving platter. Top with cheese sauce and warmed chili, and garnish with scallions and extra shredded cheese, if desired.