This easy, weeknight meal is bursting with flavor with the addition of TWO Roth cheeses — Chipotle Havarti and Smoked Gouda. The smoky-sweet combination is extra satisfying with the addition of spicy Italian sausage and fiber-rich cauliflower.
- 1 teaspoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 small to medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, mild or hot
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen*
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 (6-oz) block Roth Chipotle Havarti cheese, shredded
- 1 head cauliflower, cut and trimmed into bite-size pieces
- Fresh parsley and crushed red pepper, for garnish
- *If using frozen corn, thaw and pat dry for best results.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add canola oil and onion. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and translucent. Add Italian sausage, breaking up meat into small chunks, and cook until meat is no longer pink. Add minced garlic, and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Remove pan from heat.
- Gently fold in tomatoes, corn, sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, and Chipotle Havarti to the sausage mixture until well-mixed. Taste and season with a small pinch of salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer sausage mixture into a 9×13-inch baking pan. Fold in cauliflower, and mix well. Sprinkle Smoked Gouda in an even layer atop the casserole, then place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until casserole is bubbling and browned. If desired, switch oven to broil and place casserole under heat for up to 3 minutes until cheese is crispy and golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Top with parsley and crushed red pepper, if desired.