Smoked Sausage Cauliflower Casserole is an easy weeknight meal made extra cheesy with Jalapeño Havarti and Smoked Gouda cheeses. The smoky-sweet combination is extra satisfying with spicy Italian sausage and fiber-rich cauliflower.
- 1 teaspoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 small to medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, mild or hot
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen*
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add oil and onion. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and translucent. Add Italian sausage, break up the meat into small chunks, and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Add garlic, and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Remove pan from heat.
- Gently fold in tomatoes, corn, sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, and Jalapeño Havarti to the sausage mixture. Taste and season with a small pinch of salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a 9- x 13-inch baking pan. Fold in cauliflower, and mix well. Sprinkle Smoked Gouda in an even layer atop the casserole, then place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until casserole is bubbling and browned. If desired, switch the oven to broil and place the casserole under heat for a crispy golden brown crust. Remove from oven.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with parsley and crushed red pepper, if desired.
*If using frozen corn, thaw and pat dry for best results.