Homemade Smoked Gouda cheese sauce is a kitchen staple. Use this easy 10-minute recipe to drizzle over or dip into sausage, pretzels, veggies and more!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 1 (6-oz) package Roth Smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon horseradish sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat medium saucepan over low. Melt butter, then add garlic. Cook garlic 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Mix in ground mustard, paprika and flour to form a roux. Slowly whisk in milk, whisking vigorously to ensure no lumps remain. Let sauce cook for 3 to 4 minutes, whisking occasionally, until it begins to thicken.
- Add shredded cheese in small handfuls, whisking between each addition to ensure cheese is melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- Whisk in horseradish, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.