This chorizo mac and cheese is given a kick of flavor with our spicy 3 Chile Pepper Gouda cheese. Looking for something on the milder side for kids? Swap it with our regular Gouda.
- 2 cups (8 ounces) tubular pasta, such as elbows or penne
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup finely diced poblano chile
- 2 tablespoons diced roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced cooked chorizo link sausage
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Roth 3 Chile Pepper Gouda cheese or Gouda cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 12-inch skillet over medium-high. Add butter, garlic, onion, poblano, and red pepper. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions soften. Add chorizo and continue cooking an additional 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk half & half and cornstarch until smooth. Reduce burner heat to medium. Add half & half mixture to skillet. Bring to a gentle simmer, and stir until sauce slightly thickens.
- Slowly add cheese one handful at a time, stirring between each addition until fully melted. Add cooked pasta, and heat through. Serve immediately for a creamy mac and cheese dish or spoon into a baking dish.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 12 to 15 minutes.