This green grilled cheese is filled with spring produce and herbs paired with creamy Dill Havarti and crispy pancetta. Liven up your grilled cheese with bright asparagus, peas, and fresh herbs to make the flavors pop. With this spruced up grilled cheese, even your kids will eat their veggies tonight! By: Sarah Menanix, Snixy Kitchen
- Grilled Cheese Fixings
- ½ lb asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/3 lb thinly sliced pancetta
- 8 slices crusty sourdough bread
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces Roth® Dill Havarti Cheese, grated
- Herbed Pea Spread
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen sweet peas
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon packed fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon packed fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon packed fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Once boiling, blanch asparagus for 2-3 minutes, until bright green and just tender. Remove asparagus with a fine mesh sieve or slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Use a fine mesh sieve to blanch sweet peas for 1-2 minutes, until bright green and tender. Remove peas, shaking off excess water, and transfer to a food processor or blender. Add olive oil, basil, mint, dill, salt & pepper. Pulse until well combined and spreadable, but a little chunky is fine.
- Heat cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta slices and cook, turning, until the fat is rendered and slices are well crisped on both sides, about 5-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Once cool, break the pancetta into 2 to 3-inch pieces. Drain the fat from the skillet and wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Placing the butter-side down, top four slices in the following order: Dill Havarti cheese, pea spread, pancetta, Dill Havarti cheese, asparagus, Dill Havarti cheese. Place the second piece of bread on top, butter-side up.
- Heat the same cast-iron skillet over low heat. Either all at once or working in batches, add grilled cheese sandwiches to the skillet and cook, covered, until the bottom is golden brown and the filling is beginning to melt. Flip and cook, covered, until the second side is golden brown and filling is completely melted.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 2 minutes before slicing and serving!