By: Bev Weidner, Bev Cooks
- 1 loaf crusty bread (French, sourdough, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 slab of ham, diced (approximately 8 ounces)
- 2 cups Roth 3 Chile Pepper Gouda or Gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in medium pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for two minutes. Add diced ham, and continue to sauté until browned, about four minutes. Transfer ham and onion mixture to a medium bowl. Add shredded Gouda. Toss to combine.
- Score top of bread into strips, one way, being careful not to slice all the way through to the bottom. Then turn bread 45 degrees, and slice it the other way in parallel lines.
- Press the cheese and ham mixture into the bread crevices. Brush top of bread with melted butter.
- Wrap bread in foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve immediately.