Wow the crowd at your next backyard summer garden party with these Tomato Tartlettes — made with juicy tomatoes, fresh basil, and creamy Gouda cheese.
- 4 to 5 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 small bunch fresh basil or fresh thyme, sliced
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed overnight in refrigerator
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Roth Gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze (optional)
- Slice tomatoes about 1/2-inch thick, and lay them on paper towels. Lightly salt each side. Leave tomatoes on paper towels to sweat while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lay a piece of parchment paper (cut to fit if necessary) on top of a cookie sheet.
- Flatten puff pastry sheet and cut into six squares.
- Brush the center of each pastry square with olive oil, leaving a thin “frame” around the outside of each square.
- Top with shredded Gouda and sliced tomatoes, taking care to leave the frame of untouched dough.
- Bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry “frame” pops and color is lightly golden. Top with shredded basil or sprigs of thyme, then drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired.