When you need to feed a crowd or want prep-ahead lunches for the week, this Wild Rice Kale Salad is it! Full of texture, big flavor, and generous chunks of our creamy Prairie Sunset® or Aged Gouda cheeses.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup halved red grapes (or sub 1/2 cup dried cranberries)
- 1 cup diced apple
- 1 cup diced Roth Prairie Sunset® or Aged Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- For the Tangy Herb Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced shallot
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse wild rice in cold water. Drain in colander.
- Place rice, salt, and water in a Dutch oven or large pot. Heat, uncovered, over high until boiling. Reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until rice is chewy and grains have burst open. Drain.
- While wild rice cooks, prepare the vinaigrette. Place all vinaigrette ingredients (except salt and pepper) in a food processor or blender. Purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place kale, chicken, grapes (or cranberries), apples, cheese, and celery in a large bowl. Pour in half the vinaigrette, and toss mixture until well coated. Set aside, and let marinate while wild rice finishes cooking.
- Add cooked rice, walnuts, and remaining vinaigrette to kale salad mixture. Toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.