An easy side dish for the holidays, or any day. View full blog post from Karly, here. By: Karly Campbell, Buns in My Oven
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1 pound cauliflower florets
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 package (6 ounces) Roth® Original Havarti Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Butter bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking dish with one tablespoon butter. Add broccoli and cauliflower; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Start cheese sauce when the vegetables have 8 minutes left to bake. To make cheese sauce, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan. Add garlic to the melted butter and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour, remaining teaspoon of salt, and remaining teaspoon of pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly add milk to the flour mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking constantly, for 4-5 minutes or until mixture reaches the consistency of a thin gravy. Remove from heat and whisk in Original Havarti Cheese until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and stir. Pour cheese sauce evenly over vegetables and sprinkle top with the Panko breadcrumbs. Return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Place pan under broiler until the breadcrumbs are browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately