For a do-ahead dish, refrigerate the dish before baking for 1 or 2 days or freeze.
- 8 ounces (2 cups) elbow macaroni or penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cubed roasted butternut squash, or frozen squash, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Roth Original or Organic Van Gogh® Gouda Cheese
- 1 cup shredded (4 ounces) Roth Original or Organic Havarti Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 strips (about 4 ounces) cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Place cornstarch in sauté pan. Gradually add milk, whisky continually. Place over medium heat; and stir until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in squash cubes. Heat briefly. Add cheeses and stir until melted and incorporated. Season to taste. Remove from heat and stir in bacon and macaroni.
- Place mixture in 9×9-inch baking dish or 2-quart casserole. Toss paprika and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over macaroni. Bake 15 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is bubbly. Or brown under broiler about 2 minutes, if desired.