Upgrade your mac & cheese with sweet butternut squash and salty bacon.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups frozen butternut squash cubes or cubed and roasted butternut squash
- 4 ounces Roth Van Gogh® Gouda, shredded
- 4 ounces Roth Havarti, shredded
- 4 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups of macaroni or penne pasta, cooked (approx. 8 ounces dry)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold milk together; whisk until fully incorporated. Note: Do not mix cornstarch into heated liquids, this will produce lumps.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, slowly stir the milk mixture with the butternut squash until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Slowly add the grated Van Gogh® Gouda and Havarti cheeses until fully incorporated. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the bacon and cooked pasta.
- Place mixture in a 9×9 baking dish (a 2 ½ quart casserole or gratin dish will also work). At this point, you can cover and refrigerate for 1-2 days or freeze for later use.
- Sprinkle paprika and breadcrumbs on top and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbly. You may brown top under broiler for approx. 2 minutes.