Need a quick & simple meal that does double duty for kids AND adults? This Crispy Gouda Chicken with Herb Salsa is it! Everyone will devour the melty Gouda-topped chicken while adults get a little something extra with a tangy Dijon Herb Salsa.
- 2 pounds skin-on chicken thighs (about 6 small or 4 large)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon high-heat oil (such as canola or grapeseed)
- 1 (6 oz) package Roth Smoked Gouda or Roth Gouda, shredded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt, to taste
- Remove chicken from refrigerator, and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Let sit for 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
- While the meat rests, prepare herb salsa by whisking together all the ingredients. Season with salt to taste, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large oven-safe pan (a cast iron or skillet pan will work) over medium to medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl pan to coat bottom, adding more oil, if needed, to evenly coat the entire bottom. Place chicken into the pan, and sear 4 to 6 minutes per side until golden.
- Ensure chicken thighs are skin side up and transfer to oven. Bake 15 to 18 minutes until deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Top each thigh with an equal amount of Smoked Gouda, and return to oven. Bake just until cheese is melted, as this will ensure the skin stays crispy.
- To serve, top chicken with herb salsa. Serve with a side of rice and roasted broccoli, if desired.