- For Lasagna:
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups (32 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Turkey Sausage Sauce (recipe follows)
- 12 no-cook lasagna noodles (see recipe note)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Roth® Original Van Gough® Gouda Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Roth® Original Havarti Cheese
- For Turkey Sausage Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh hot turkey sausage, casings removed if necessary
- 1/2 pound fresh sweet turkey sausage, casings removed if necessary
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add all the turkey and cook, stirring frequently to break up the turkey until it’s crumbly and browned thoroughly. Drain in a strainer, discarding any accumulated fat.
- Add remaining olive oil to same pot. Heat over medium until hot. Add onion and shallot; cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and basil; cook, stirring, until garlic and herbs are fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and red pepper flakes if using; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Add reserved turkey; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Taste; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add ricotta, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to blend. Set aside. Mix Original Van Gogh® Gouda and Havarti in bowl. Set aside.
- Ladle a little of the turkey sausage sauce onto bottom of 9 x13-inch baking pan. Place lasagna noodles on countertop. Spread even amount of ricotta mixture on each. Cover baking pan bottom with 4 lasagna noodles. Spoon about 1 1/2 cups of sauce over, covering ricotta mixture entirely. Evenly sprinkle 1/3 of shredded cheeses over. Repeat process, forming 3 layers.
- Cover lasagna with tin foil. (Hint: spray 1 side with nonstick cooking spray and place that side down on top of the lasagna. When you remove it, cheese won’t stick to foil) Bake 1 hour, removing foil halfway through cooking time so the top becomes bubbly and browned. You can place a rimmed baking sheet on a rack below lasagna pan to catch drips if desired.
- Remove lasagna from oven. Allow it to sit at least 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Note: An 8-ounce package of lasagna noodles will usually contain between 12 and 14 pieces of rectangular lasagna noodles. You might have a couple of extra to save for additional batches or to make a small lasagna in a smaller loaf pan.