3 Chili Pepper Gouda (with chipotle, habanero, and jalapeno peppers) give this grilled cheese a Southwest flavor. Pair with your favorite barbeque sauce and lots of caramelized onions for a tasty Texan grilled cheese! By: Meggan Hill, Culinary Hill
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices Texas toast (French toast bread)
- 1 pound Roth® 3 Chile Pepper Gouda Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions (see recipe note)
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- Butter all 8 slices of bread on each side. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, arrange 4 slices of bread butter-side down in a single layer ( work in batches if necessary).
- Layer 3 Chili Pepper Gouda, caramelized onions, and a spread of barbecue sauce on each sandwich. Top with second slice of bread (butter side up) and flip when the bottom is golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Continue cooking until the second side is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Remove to a cutting board, cut each sandwich in half, and serve.
Note: To make caramelized onions, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sliced onions and cook until deep golden brown, at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.