Fig Flatbread En Croute is one of our favorite desserts, equally sweet with fig jam and savory from the addition of Roth Grand Cru® Reserve.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1/3 cup fig preserves
- 1 (6-oz) package Roth Grand Cru® Reserve cheese, shredded
- 1 small egg, whisked
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Ice cream or honey yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place puff pastry on rimmed cookie sheet. Cut diagonal slanted slashes from outside edge of the two vertical sides of the pastry (about 6 slashes on each side) toward center. Leave center dough area uncut. Smear fig preserves in the center of the pastry. Sprinkle shredded cheese over.
- Alternate folding the strips over the filling in criss-cross fashion — right side, left side, right side, left side, repeating with all strips.
- Mix eggs and milk. Brush mixture over pastry, and sprinkle with sugar and hazelnuts.
- Place in oven. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and let sit 3 to 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Top with ice cream or honey yogurt, if desired.