A warming, veggie-packed soup that's on the table in less than an hour. Simple and easy, everything roasts on one pan, then is transferred and pureed in a pot for warming.
- 4 to 5 cups roughly chopped cauliflower (about 1 head)
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Roth® Organic Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary and additional for garnish, if desired
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups sourdough or day-old bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; combine cauliflower, garlic cloves, onion, olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss until vegetables are evenly coated. Roast 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even browning. Vegetables should be lightly browned and the garlic should be soft.
- Transfer vegetables and broth to an immersion blender. With the immersion blender, purée mixture until smooth. Alternatively, purée mixture in batches in a high-speed blender. Transfer to a Dutch oven or stockpot and heat over medium-low heat. Let come to a low boil.
- Add 1 3/4 cups Roth Organic Cheddar by handfuls, stirring between each addition to ensure cheese melts seamlessly into soup. Season with rosemary, salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to low and warm.
- Meanwhile, toss bread cubes with melted butter, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place cubes on a baking sheet and bake 5 to 7 minutes or until croutons are light brown. Remove from oven and top with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar shreds. Return to oven; bake additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheddar is melted and bubbling.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; top with cheddar croutons and additional rosemary, if desired.