Swedish Meatballs are one of our favorites. Spiced with allspice and nutmeg and speckled with creamy Gouda, these meatballs are magnificently melty with a rich, velvety sauce.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 pounds homestyle frozen meatballs, thawed in refrigerator at least 3 hours
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Roth Gouda cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high. Brown meatballs in small batches, about 2 minutes per side (4 minutes total), then set aside.
- In a sauté pan, stir beef stock and cornstarch until cornstarch is fully dissolved.
- Place sauté pan over medium heat and slowly heat beef stock-cornstarch mixture until bubbling. Add allspice and nutmeg, stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Add sour cream. Continue stirring until incorporated. Slowly add cheese. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Place reserved meatballs in a shallow baking dish, and pour the sauce on top. Bake 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.