Recipe by: MacKenzie Smith, Grilled Cheese Social
- For the Potatoes:
- 3 to 4 lbs. potatoes (about 4 medium-sized potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- For the Caramelized Onions:
- 3 lbs. sweet onions (about 7 to 8 cups, thinly diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the Twice-Baked Stuffed Potatoes:
- 4 baked potatoes, split and scooped
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- Caramelized Onions (8 tbsp, divided and reserved)
- 6 ounces shredded Roth Grand Cru® cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Thyme sprigs, for garnish
For the Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and rub them with olive oil and sea salt.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Set aside, and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
For the Caramelized Onions:
- While potatoes are baking, add olive oil to a heavy-bottomed pot and heat to medium.
- Add onions and salt, and cook for one hour, stirring often.
- If your onions begin to stick to the pot, add 2 tablespoons of water to deglaze and keep stirring.
- Once the onions are caramelized and dark brown, remove them from the pot and put 8 tablespoons to the side.
For the Twice-Baked Stuffed Potatoes:
- Once potatoes are cool, carefully cut them in half and scoop out the insides of the potatoes, being careful not to break the skin.
- Place skins on a baking sheet and put potato insides in a bowl and mash them with sour cream.
- Add caramelized onions (keeping 8 tablespoons to the side), half the Roth Grand Cru®, thyme and salt. Stir together, and season to taste, if needed.
- Spoon potato mixture evenly into the 8 potato skins, making sure to pile the mixture high. Add 1 tablespoon of reserved caramelized onions to each potato skin and top with remaining Grand Cru® (about 1 heaping tbsp of cheese on each skin). Add a thyme spring or two, for garnish.
- Place baking sheet back in the oven, and bake for another 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.