Recipe by: Bev Weidner, Bev Cooks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (6-oz) wedge Roth Grand Cru® cheese, grated
- 4 brioche buns, split and lightly toasted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Lettuce or red-leaf lettuce, for topping
- Coarse salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onions, season with sugar and a pinch of salt, cover and cook on low for one hour. Come back to it every 5 to 10 minutes to stir the onions, ensuring nothing is sticking. After an hour, they’ll be dark brown, shriveled and so beautifully sweet. Transfer to a cutting board and finely chop.
- Mix caramelized onions with the ground beef and season with a hefty pinch of salt. Form four quarter-pound patties or two half-pound patties.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and sear the burgers for four minutes over medium-high heat. Flip burgers, adding the grated cheese to the top of the patties, and sear another four minutes.
- Once the cheese has melted, assemble your burgers with mustard on the bottom bun, lettuce, the cheesy patty, sliced avocado and the top bun.
- Serve with roasted potatoes, if desired.