This 10-ingredient, 20-minute queso recipe is made entirely in the Instant Pot, offering up a double dose of spicy flavor with roasted jalapeño and Roth Jalapeño Havarti.
- 1 jalapeño pepper*
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 (6-oz) packages Roth Jalapeño Havarti, shredded*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra chili powder & jalapeño pepper, for garnish
- Set oven to broil. Place jalapeño pepper under broiler, and rotate every few minutes until evenly browned and/or charred on all sides. Remove from oven, and let cool. Remove stem, and mince.
- Plug in your Instant Pot, and press SAUTE. Once pot is heated, melt butter. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper. Stir frequently until vegetables have softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin and minced roasted jalapeño, and mix well.
- Slowly whisk in milk, and heat until it begins to bubble. Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot, and switch setting to KEEP WARM. Add cream cheese, whisking until smooth. Sprinkle in shredded cheese by the handful — whisking between each addition — until queso is creamy and smooth. Taste queso, and season with salt and pepper, to taste (if needed).
- Queso will thicken as it sits. It is best served fresh. We recommend keeping it in the Instant Pot to stay warm or transferring to a serving bowl. Serve with tortilla chips and vegetable crudités, and eat immediately.
*For a mild or less spicy queso, omit jalapeño pepper and/or swap Jalapeño Havarti for Original Havarti.