By: Katie Workman, The Mom 100
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups (32 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Turkey Sausage Sauce (recipe below)
- 12 no-cook lasagna noodles*
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Roth Gouda cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Roth Creamy Havarti cheese
- For the Turkey Sausage Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh hot turkey sausage, casings removed (if necessary)
- 1/2 pound fresh sweet turkey sausage, casings removed (if necessary)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
For the Lasagna:
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add ricotta, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to blend. Set aside.
- Mix Gouda and Havarti in bowl. Set aside.
- Ladle a little of the turkey sausage sauce onto the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking pan. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. Spread on an even amount of ricotta mixture. Spoon about 1 1/2 cups of sauce over, covering ricotta mixture entirely. Evenly sprinkle 1/3 of shredded cheese over. Repeat process, forming 3 layers.
- Cover lasagna with tin foil. (Hint: Spray 1 side with nonstick cooking spray, and place that side down on top of the lasagna. When you remove it, the cheese won’t stick to the foil!) Bake 1 hour, removing foil halfway through so the top becomes bubbly and browned. You can place a rimmed baking sheet on a rack below the lasagna pan to catch drips, if desired.
- Remove lasagna from oven. Allow it to sit at least 10 to 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
For the Sauce:
- In a large stockpot, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. Add turkey and cook, breaking up the turkey until crumbly and browned. Strain to discard any accumulated fat.
- Add remaining olive oil to the same pot. Heat over medium until hot. Add onion and shallot. Cook, stirring frequently, until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and basil. Cook until garlic and herbs are fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes, if using. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Add reserved turkey. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
*Note: An 8-ounce package of lasagna noodles will usually contain between 12 and 14 pieces of rectangular lasagna noodles. You might have a couple of extra to save for additional batches or to make a second small lasagna in a smaller loaf pan.