Adding our smoky 3 Chile Pepper Gouda to these spicy gouda scones? A no-brainer! They're warm, flaky, buttery, and a perfectly cheesy addition to any brunch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes*
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut butter into the flour mixture until the texture is crumbly. Toss in shredded cheese until evenly distributed.
- Add 3/4 cup buttermilk to the flour mixture, and gently stir to form a dough. If the dough is too dry, add additional buttermilk 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time until the dough comes together. Knead 3 to 4 times on a lightly floured surface. Form into a circle about 1-inch thick, and cut into 8 triangles.
- Place scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with egg wash and a sprinkle of paprika, if desired. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.
*Use 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes for more heat