A variation of the French Croque monsieur, this Monte Cristo is equal parts sweet and savory. Tart cranberry sauce balances our nutty alpine-style Grand Cru® for a quick, easy, and delicious sandwich to eat any time of day.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (1-oz) slice Roth Grand Cru® cheese
- 3 ounces sliced ham
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Mix egg and milk in a bowl large enough to fit bread slices. Place bread slices, one at a time, in the bowl and coat completely with egg mixture.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add bread slices to skillet. Cook bottom sides until golden brown. Flip slices.
- Layer cheese, ham, and cranberry sauce on one bread slice. Top with remaining slice, browned side up.
- Continue cooking until bottom slice is golden brown and cheese begins to melt. Dust sandwiches with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve immediately.