- Mornay Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) hot whole milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Roth Grand Cru® Original Cheese
- 8 ounces thinly sliced baked ham
- 8 thick slices rustic bread
- 4 ounces thinly sliced Roth Grand Cru® Original Cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup warm Mornay sauce
For Mornay Sauce:
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow mixture to brown.
- Remove saucepan from heat; add milk and whisk vigorously until smooth. Whisk in nutmeg, cloves, salt and pepper. Add bay leaf; return saucepan to stove.
- Simmer sauce 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove bay leaf and stir in Grand Cru®. Whisk sauce until cheese is fully melted. (Makes about 2 cups.)
- Layer ham on 4 bread slices. Top each with slices of Grand Cru®. Close sandwiches with remaining bread slices. Butter outside of sandwich slices, using about 2 tablespoons.
- Heat panini press or stove-top griddle. Grill the sandwich until bread is toasted and cheese has melted.
Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in skillet; fry eggs sunny-side-up or over easy, but not dry. Place egg on each sandwich and top with warm Mornay sauce. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any remaining Mornay sauce and enjoy with vegetables.