This easy chicken parmesan is fast weeknight comfort food — requiring just 8 simple ingredients and 30 minutes of time. Made with our nutty Grand Cru® or creamy Havarti cheese, we swear this is a no-fail family dinner served over pasta, as a sandwich or on its own with a side of veggies or salad.
- 1 (32-oz) jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil or other high heat oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 (6-oz) wedge Roth Grand Cru® or Original Havarti cheese, finely shredded
- 2 to 3 large chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise (to form 4 to 6 thinner chicken breasts)
- Fresh chopped basil or parsley, dried basil or Italian seasoning and/or crushed red pepper flakes (for garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add 2 cups marinara sauce to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, and spread into an even layer coating the bottom. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a large fry pan set over medium heat. Let the pan get hot while you prep the chicken.
- Grab three shallow bowls or rimmed plates. In bowl #1, whisk flour, garlic powder and a pinch of each, salt and pepper, until combined. In bowl #2, whisk egg and water. In bowl #3, mix breadcrumbs with 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Coat each sliced chicken breast in flour mixture followed by egg mixture and finally, breadcrumb mixture. Take time to ensure you’re coating both sides of the chicken as best as possible.
- Add two breaded chicken breasts to the fry pan at a time. Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until breading is medium golden brown. Repeat for remaining chicken breasts, adding another tablespoon oil, if needed.
- Place cooked chicken in prepared baking dish, and pour the remaining marinara over the breasts and into the pan. Top with remaining shredded cheese, and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediately, and top with garnishes, if desired.