Puff pastry elevates flatbread to a higher level with this irresistible cheesy treat.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1/3 cup fig preserves
- 1 1/2 cups (1 6-ounce package) shredded Roth Grand Cru® Original or Reserve cheese
- 1 small egg, whisked
- 1½ tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Ice cream or honey yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place puff pastry on rimmed cookie sheet. Cut diagonal slanted slashes from outside edge of the two vertical sides of the pastry (about 6 slashes on each side) toward center. Leave center dough area uncut. Smear fig preserves in center of pastry. Sprinkle shredded cheese over.
- Alternate folding the strips over the filling, criss-cross fashion– right side, left side, right side, left side, repeating with all strips.
- Mix eggs and milk. Brush mixture over pastry and sprinkle with sugar and hazelnuts.
- Place in oven; bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and let sit 3-5 minutes before slicing and serving. May be topped with ice cream or honey yogurt.