Recipe by: Kristina Cho, Eat Cho Food
- For the Chili Oil Grilled Cheese:
- 2 slices of milk bread or bread of choice
- 2 teaspoons kewpie mayo
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded Roth Grand Cru® cheese
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- For the Gingery Tomato Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flake
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk, optional
To make the Chili Oil Grilled Cheese:
Spread kewpie mayo on both slices of bread. Place one slice mayo side down on a cutting board or plate. Place 2/3 of the cheese on the bread, sprinkle on the green onions and drizzle on the chili oil. Top with remaining cheese and place the other slice of bread on top. Press down slightly to compact the grilled cheese.
Heat a frying pan with a fitted lid over just below medium heat. Once hot, transfer the grilled cheese to the pan. Add water and cover with the lid. Continue to cook until water has evaporated and the underside is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the lid and flip the grilled cheese. Continue to cook until the cheese is melty and the underside is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately!
To make the Gingery Tomato Soup:
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and saute until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and season with salt, white pepper, and red pepper flake. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. For a smooth soup, blend with a handheld immersion blender or in a heat-safe blender until smooth. Finish by blending in heavy cream or coconut milk for a creamy texture.