Author: Snixy Kitchen
- 1½ lbs small new potatoes, cut into ½ inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 medium cloves garlic, still in the skins
- Cheesy Savory Oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1-1/3 cup steel cut oats (not quick cooking)
- ⅔ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 5-1/3 cups water, plus more as needed
- ⅔ cup shredded Original or Organic Roth Van Gogh Gouda Cheese, plus more for shaving
- ¼ teaspoon each, salt and pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot covered by an inch of cold water. Add ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for four minutes then drain the potatoes.
- Toss the potatoes and garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons olive oil and remaining teaspoon of salt. Spread potatoes and garlic out on a medium parchment-lined baking sheet in an even layer, and roast for 10 minutes. Remove garlic cloves with tongs and toss potatoes. Roast potatoes for another 10 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until it is fragrant and begins to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add oats and water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the oats have thickened to your liking, 15-20 minutes, adding more water, as needed if the oats thicken too much.
- Fold in the cheese until melted and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile make the soft-boiled eggs. In the same pot as the potatoes, bring 3-4 inches of water to boil. Prepare an ice bath to have on hand. When the water boils, reduce heat to a simmer and add the eggs and simmer for 6 minutes and 10 seconds. Transfer eggs to the ice bath to cool before peeling and slicing.
- Divide oatmeal among four bowls. Top with crispy potatoes, a spoonful of pesto, a sprinkle of toasted sunflower seeds, soft-boiled eggs, and a few shavings of gouda.