By: Katie Workman, The Mom 100 Nothing is more delicious or satisfying than making your own mac and cheese, and it’s surprisingly easy. Four amazing cheeses – Roth® Havarti, cheddar, Butterkase, and Grand Cru® -- work together to make this the ultimate, decadent, creamy stovetop mac and cheese.
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 pound (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 egg
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Roth® Original Grand Cru® Alpine Style Cheese
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Roth® Organic Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Roth® Butterkäse Cheese
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Original Roth® Havarti Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and large pinch cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring large pot of water to boil, salt generously. Allow water to return to boil; add macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, beat egg and add to milk in a measuring cup.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in same pot used to cook pasta. Add flour and stir frequently 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture turns golden. Slowly add milk mixture, stirring or whisking constantly, and stirring often, bring mixture just barely to a simmer. Immediately reduce heat to low and cook, continuing to stir frequently, until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Add Roth® Grand Cru®, cheddar, butterkäse, and Havarti in any order, but just one handful at a time, stirring after each addition until cheese is melted. Stir in mustard; season with the cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add drained pasta to cheese sauce and stir until well combined. Adjust seasonings. Turn into serving bowl and serve immediately.